Saturday, March 17, 2007

Life as a FLEFF intern...so far!

Hi All!

I just thought I'd share a little about what I've been doing this past week as a FLEFF intern. At first glance it might not seem like much. I used half a dozen glue sticks while attaching a list of the five French films that will be shown at the festival to five hundred postcards. I tabled at Cinemapolis and Fall Creek to spread the word about FLEFF, and I spent a morning at the Bookery II putting up a window display.

But in all honesty I was doing so much more than just a few menial tasks. Those 500 postcards I worked on? (With Kara's help, of course) Well, the French Embassy is a major sponsor of the festival, and they require special advertising for their films, to make sure they stand out from the many other screenings. So by gluing for an hour or two, Kara and I were actually improving international relations. All in a day's work.

And that window display in The Bookery? I'd like to say it is more than just a splendid, eye-catching piece of advertising (which it is, really, head down to the Bookery II on Buffalo Street and check it out!). I like to think that by displaying books related to FLEFF, we were promoting literacy, reading, and self education. At least that's what I tell my mother.
"So Kelly, what did you do today?"
"Well Mom, I woke up and had some waffles, then I went downtown to promote literacy among the masses."
"Good for you honey."
She's so proud.

When we tabled at the downtown theaters, we did more than hand out a few flyers. We spoke with dozens of Ithacans to get them ready for FLEFF. They seemed pretty excited about the events we have planned. Not only did we get to spread our knowledge of FLEFF, but we learned more than a little bit about the chaos of film distribution.

Well, that's about it! It has been a fun week, I've met some great people in the Ithaca community, and I learned a ton. I hope you all are ready for FLEFF, it's going to be a wild ride!

ta ta for now,
Kelly
FLEFF Intern Extraordinaire

No comments: